It is a well known fact that kids learn faster by interaction. We believe that figuring out an answer (instead of just selecting an answer) “teaches” the kids at a fundamental level. The Ladybug Math app takes this approach in teaching simple concepts in numbers, shapes, basic arithmetic, comparison and sequence to young minds. We have developed the app in such a way that it is going to be fun to interact/play with the app as well as learn the concepts. These are the basic skills which kids can learn from this app:
1. Fine motor skills: For toddlers, this app develops fine motor skills. The kids can play with the ladybugs and get tactile feedback as the ladybugs are being dragged. Plus, it is fun to put them in web and release them!
2. Concept of numbers: The idea of numbers could be intriguing to young minds. They can observe that numbers can be “made” larger (or smaller) by collecting more (or less) ladybugs. The idea of incrementally adding (removing) ladybugs to (from) the web provides the kids with an understanding of smaller and larger numbers.
3. Shapes: We have taken an unique approach in teaching shapes. One just need to drag the red Ladybug in the web and all the other ladybugs congregate and make a shape! Releasing and dragging the red Ladybug again to the web gives another shape and the fun goes on.
4. Basic arithmetic: The next logical step is to teach the concepts of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. We have made multiple levels for each of the concepts to ease the learning so that the child grasps the fundamentals.
5. Comparison: In this game we teach the concept of “less than”, “equal to” and “greater than”. Often, there are multiple correct solutions and, with exploration, the kid will find other solutions.
6. Sequence: This game teaches the concept of sequence. This game is for kids who have mastered the concept of addition, subtraction etc. and understand the concept of “comparing” multiple numbers. This game teaches the kids to observe a pattern in the numbers (increasing or decreasing) and find the exact missing number.
7. Reward Game: To encourage the kids to play and learn more, we have developed a coloring reward game. As the child finds correct answer to the questions, he/she can earn colored tiles in the games. With the earned colored tiles, the child can color the scene creatively. This encourages the child to get more correct answers so that he/she can collect the tiles of his/her choice. We believe this is an unique reward system which encourages creativity and provides the motivation to solve more questions and hence learn more.